Monday, March 9, 2009

Raising the Bar 3 UPDATE!

Very often, while deep in the editing process, I realize that I don't have enough information to fully explain what is going on. I usually fix that with voiceover but sometimes voiceover just doesn't feel right. Sometimes what is needed is a first person account, especially if we are talking about the internal, emotional thoughts of the subject. It is much stronger to hear the subject say "I was sad..." instead of having the voiceover saying, "Mr. Boodely was sad."

With that in mind I invited Dave over today to watch the parts of RTB3 that I have done and to look at some raw or lightly edited footage.



I would play a sequence for him and then ask him for his reaction. He was VERY excited about what he was seeing! That was encouraging to me. I've been deep into this for over a month now and feel too close to it sometimes.

As usual he was thoughtful, eloquent and funny, the perfect documentary subject! Even though I was shooting video of us working, as you can see, I intend only to use the audio portion of the tape. I'm wearing headphones because I'm monitoring the audio as it's recording, listening for distortion or glitches. That's usually done off-camera. It was a bit of an unusual set-up but it worked for us!



Over the next few weeks I'll be incorporating the audio that we shot today and hopefully will be much closer to completion!!


(Yes, I'm wearing my promotional RTB3 t-shirt!! I know that's dorky but it gets me in the right frame of mind!)

No comments: